A Blog To Comment On The Public Sphere

Saturday, March 31, 2012

Artists Are People Too


There is a stigma in our society that, unless they "make it big," all artists are doomed to the life of a "starving artist." However, the "starving artist" is something we've made up and perpetuate regardless of the fact that some of the art produced here in America is far-reaching and affects other countries' images of us much more than any other product or export. The American government, though efforts are being made, needs to significantly step up the resources available to artists and needs to set up programs to encourage and hone young artists.

When I say artist, I'm talking about all types of art, not just, say, painting. I'm referencing theatre, music, dance, and, of course, visual art. Programs in these areas are always the first to go when schools or communities are on a tight budget. Why? Because art isn't productive according to those who make these decisions. This idea, however, runs quite contrary to the massive amounts of money art brings to America and American's wallets.

Americans may not realize it, but the art we create here travels around the world in a heartbeat thanks to the Internet and affects how people elsewhere view Americans. This can be seen obviously in the case of music if you go to a nightclub almost anywhere in the world. Even if they can't understand the lyrics, the DJs will play American music.

When I lived in Amsterdam, many Dutch people knew little about how life actually is in America. They had an image in their mind based off of portrayals in the media. So when I said I'm from Los Angeles, I usually got a response like "California gurls? (sang to the melody of Katy Perry's hit song)" or "Is it like Entourage?"

Art is not only the export which affects our image the most, it is also a large export and a profitable one. And yet, artists are hardly ever given a chance to have healthcare provided by an employer or retirement benefits or anything of the sort. That needs to change.

Art is important to our culture and our economy. Artists need not be "starving artists." There needs to be a program set up to encourage more artists, and the government needs to step up and create incentives for being an artist. Otherwise, the artist is put at a disadvantage, and we cannot do that to the creators of something that is hugely important in our country, whether you are an artist yourself or not.

4 comments:

  1. It's hard for me to say that there needs to be a program setup for artists, especially a government funded program. Yes, they are at a disadvantage, but that is the risk associated with being an artist. Right now, government funding is getting reduced everywhere. I work at a neuroscience lab and getting funding is a nightmare, and we have to reapply for grants every year! Do not get me wrong, but I would hate to see they cut funding in labs such as the one I work in, i.e., a laboratory researching the mechanism of action and treatment of Huntington's Disease, just so people who devote their lives to the arts can get certain benefits.
    Please do not get me wrong, I do believe that there needs to be more support for artists, but I strongly am against it being government funded, when the government is being extremely stringent funding programs that I believe are more important to society as a whole.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you when you say that there should be more support for artists, although there are several hurdles I think of immediately. The first would be: which artists should get government support? It would be hard to measure who is producing work that is worthy of support and who is making bad art. It would be very subjective. Additionally, this might encourage artists to produce work just to ensure that they remained covered by those supporting them. I think this would be a betrayal of what the artistic process should be. A lot of great art came out of financial, mental, and physical struggle. While I would like to see art encouraged more it may be that some of the work we regard as great would not have been made had artists had something to lean on. Art does not seem to be something for the faint of heart, or the money loving, and in one way it is this very condition that encourages those who are meant to be artists to take enough risk to actually become artists.

    What I would like to see more of is private encouragement of the arts, especially amongst young people. Whether or not young people go on to become artists, I believe it is an extremely valuable exercise that is often overlooked. Self realization is not something that is often encouraged by the industrialized world and it is breeding a valueless culture aimed at productivity, often for productivity's sake. Great art takes a long time to be fully realized and I'm sure the government would have a very hard to measuring art in any quantifiable way to determine who should be supported and who they should tell not to quit their day job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a strong supporter of the arts, I agree that more needs to be done for the average artist. I never really thought about it, but you're right - we only really know of the artists that make it big. There are tons of more very talented people that are strong artist, but don't get any funding or backing from a major organization. I would like to see more backing for artists and more funding for art to be taught in classrooms. When funding is cut, arts education are the first programs to go. I think that should change. I'm not sure if the government should get into funding programs specifically for art (because of our current budget crisis), but I think it should be made a priority.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's interesting to think about the "Art Industry" as something that produces a lot of revenue for America, because it does. And I just find it so strange that art is treated as the most disposable field of study when schools are on a tight budget. I think the government should bolster art programs throughout schools, but I doubt the average American taxpaper would be willing to contribute to this fund. I'm thinking art is just going to be that alternative lifestyle that only the truly dedicated will pursue. Perhaps that will bring out better art.

    ReplyDelete